During the course of the semester, we worked to learn the basics of Blender and Cura and apply those skills to printing 3D models. For this final project, our objective was to print one final, large project and document the process to show a step by step process of our work.
I began the project by working on a design. Throughout the course of the semester, I tried to brainstorm and experiment with a large scale design. Ultimately, I settled on wanting to create a world map.
I started by working on finding a map that I liked and getting the designs for each continent created. I created large-scale tracings from a map and uploaded them to Photoshop to make sure that the images were edited properly. Once I had the final versions of my images, I had to upload them to Blender and edit them to the right dimensions and height. After the Blender models were completed, I worked on printing the final versions.
Throughout the print process, things went relatively smooth. However, some of the complications revolved around making sure that I was printing things at the right scale, particularly since I had to print several of the continents in pieces. Since I was creating just the outline of the continents, without any fill, I had to ensure that the print job was exactly to scale so the pieces lined up exactly.
After each of the pieces were printed, I was tasked with lining them up to make sure they fit into place. I had to trim some pieces down, since some of the prints included extra pieces, particularly the pieces in Europe and Asia. Once they were trimmed, I glued all the pieces together and placed them over the original map. I then pained all of the pieces in black and decided to fill them with the original coloring from the original map. After trimming the pieces down, I was able to glue them to poster board to complete the final map.
The final outcome of my project can be found below:
Throughout this project, I learned a lot about not only how to physically print a large-scale project, but I learned a lot about how to troubleshoot the machines if they are malfunctioning. I additionally learned many new things related to exploring my creative boundaries and working to complete a project from inception through to a final deliverable. I would be much more prepared to complete another large-scale print in the future, having learned many of the issues related to a print such as this from this project.
Photos from Unsplash